Saturday, January 5, 2008

Ants in Our Pants

Declan has created a bit of a unit study for himself. He is completely into ants. It is so fun, but I have to say that I am so glad that it has been cold otherwise I am sure that we have had some "ant pets" in the house.

He has been reading and looking at two ant books in particular, one is The Magic Schoolbus Gets Ants in its Pants. He loves the facts about ants, and thinks that the jokes in the book are hilarious.

This morning, as I write this, he is watching Ant Bully, and making all kids of delightful connections. He noticed queens flying off to make new colonies, aphids getting milked, and different types of ants.

Somewhere in our future I see an ant farm. I need some time to prepare. Maybe if I can imagine the ants all speaking like Ricardo Montalban in the movie it will be a bit more palatable to me.

1 comment:

theorivas said...

We had an ant farm about a year ago. it was very interesting, though I think it lasted only about 2 weeks. Ants are really interesting.